Practical information

What type of electrical outlet do you need in Sweden?

If you are planning a trip to Sweden soon, you might be wondering what type of electrical outlet is used in Sweden. Depending on your country of residence (like if you’re from the UK or US) you might need to bring a power plug adapter to Sweden. Make sure you are fully prepared for your trip so you can charge your phone to take those awesome holiday pictures!

Electrical outlets in Sweden

Sweden uses the Europlug (Type C and F) for electricity. This plug has two round prongs and outputs 230 volts of power in Sweden. The frequency of the plug is 50 Hz.

So if you are visiting Sweden from a country that has a different outlet, like the United States (Type A and B) or the United Kingdom (Type G) you will need an adapter. It is also possible that you will need a converter, because of the frequency and voltage.

To make sure your appliance is designed for 230 volts, check the label near the power cord. If your appliance is not rated for up to 240 volts or 50 to 60 Hz you will need to buy a power converter.

If the label states ‘INPUT: 100-240V, 50/60 Hz’ the appliance can be used in all countries in the world. Nowadays, this is very common for chargers of smartphones, tablets, laptops, cameras and even toothbrushes.

That being said, in general it’s a bad idea to bring any type of hairdryer to Sweden. Due to the high power consumption you will have a hard time finding a suitable converter. You can always check if your accommodation has a hairdryer or buy one locally to make sure your hair still looks great!

Pin for later

Prepare for your trip to Sweden and make sure you have the right power converter for the electrical outlets in Sweden.

You may also like...

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more